Thursday, October 3, 2013

Multi-generational living

In the olden days, it wasn't uncommon to see families of different generations living under the same roof.  With the world as it is today, I can see the phenomenon making a comeback.  Think of the advantages to such an arrangement...sharing resources, developing closeness with the other family, saving money, looking out for one another.  Of course, there are possible disadvantages...if the family members don't get along or respect each others privacy or take advantage of each other. 

For the last few years, my family has been blessed to share our home with some of our married children and their families (not at the same time!).  Because we raised a large family (8 kids) and still live in the home they were raised in, we have lots of room.  We converted part of the downstairs into a "mother-in-law" apartment (separate entrance, kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom) and offered it to one of our newly married children.  They lived there for two years, saving money and preparing to go to college out of state.  It was a very positive arrangement.  Because they lived so close to us (downstairs!) we got to know our new son-in-law better and quicker than what would normally happen.  He's a wonderful young man and I love him! While they lived with us, we visited together often.  We shared food when either of us made too much of something.  And, something I really liked, the house didn't feel so big and empty. 

When they moved out a year ago, another married son asked if he and his family could move into the apartment so they could pay off school debts and save money.  Of course I said yes but on one condition...I wanted them to move upstairs (the main house) rather than the little apartment because they have three young children.  They felt bad about the idea of us moving downstairs but we convinced them that it was something we wanted to do. 

What a wonderful experience that has been this last year.  My home was alive with children again!  The kids were super respectful of our space and always knocked when they wanted to visit...which was often!  I loved being so close to them and playing with them and sometimes, just cuddling with them.  The bond of love between grandparent (us) and grandchildren (them) has grown so strong.  I love the little ones and I also got to form a strong bond with my daughter-in-law during the year.  She's an amazing and patient woman and I'm so glad my son married her. 

As with my other children who lived with us, we shared resources and visited often, while still maintaining our separate spaces.  It was a great arrangement for us all.  Unfortunately, my son and his family are in the process of moving to another state for work.  I had hoped to have them here a little longer but support their decision to move.  But, oh, how I'll miss them!

We were really blessed to have the resources to make living under the same roof possible.  I realize that with different personalities and lifestyles, it might not have worked as well but neither my kids nor my husband and I have any regrets about sharing our home and lives.

The big, old house is going to feel awfully empty again.  Sigh...


No comments:

Post a Comment