Saturday, October 5, 2013

Will they get along?

Much as I enjoy a good relationship with my children, it makes me really happy when I see them going out of their way to be with each other.  I worked for years refereeing fights and squabbles when they were little, teaching them to cooperate, all in the hopes that when they grew up, they'd actually like each other. 

Last week, through a variety of circumstances, five of my eight adult children (and their families) were in the same place at the same time, several hundred miles away.  They arranged to get together and spent an afternoon, catching up, visiting and just having fun.  The amazing thing is that I didn't have anything to do with it.  They spontaneously wanted to be with each other.  This mother's heart was all warm inside.

Most likely, I'll be gone long before my children are gone and knowing that they have each other to support and encourage through challenges and rough times, makes me feel like I've done my job...well, mostly, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly what I am hoping for / have been working on. For the time I won't be at this side of heaven anymore.
    Love and blessings,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete