Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The decade birthdays

Often the decade birthdays (30, 40, 50, etc) are not happily anticipated.  Even though a birthday means just one year older, the decade birthdays represent a passage into another DECADE.  Turning 40 is acknowledging leaving the child bearing years and entering middle age.  Turning 50 often represents becoming grandparents and you know what being a grandparent means...being old!  And 60?  You can no longer hide the fact that you aren't young any more.

In a year and a half, I will be turning 60 and I decided that I am going to treat it differently.  I am not going to hide the fact that I'm going to be 60...in fact, I've started mentioning to people that "after all, I'm almost 60" and it's fun to see their reaction.  :)  Most people look startled that I am so casual admitting to turning "that certain age".  

Maybe by the time I actually have that decade birthday, I'll be used to the number and will enter that new decade with grace and thankfulness for 60 years of life.



2 comments:

  1. I'm just as far as you on the way to my 60th. birthday! And, oh, I celebrate each and every day since I was diagnosed with cancer, three years ago.
    My Dear Mother didn't come any further than the age of 57, so, you understand my feeling of living in a kind of bonus time.
    Turning 60 will be wonderful, a great gift and I love all and everything that come with it.
    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a good attitude on getting older! It is a blessing we often take for granted until something like cancer or some other serious illness reminds us of our mortality. We have much to be thankful for!

      Delete