Sunday, May 19, 2013

A new fire pit!

Me with two of my grandkids admiring our new fire pit!

 This afternoon my son built a fire pit in our backyard!  I've wanted one for so long and now we have exactly what I dreamed of (thanks to Pinterest!)...and just in time for the warmer weather.  We decided that unless it was raining, we'd have a weekly Sunday picnic and invite any of the family who might be available.  I am envisioning many a happy evening sitting around a warm, crackling fire, enjoying the company of my loved ones...sigh.  Thank you son!

6 comments:

  1. Well I'm a friend... may I come to your weekly picnic. In all honesty, if I lived close I would be there :) Love your new fire ring. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends are loved ones too! I'd love it if you could come to our picnic!

      Delete
  2. I love hanging out around a fire pit on cool nights. The fall season is my favorite because the nights are just cold enough to appreciate the fire, but not too frigid; the smell that comes with fall is also a great experience. Did you build the fire ring, or buy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can smell it now :) We built the ring with garden wall blocks purchased at Home Depot for $1.37 a piece. So, 36 blocks, 1 bag of sand for $2.50, 1/2 hours time and we have our fire ring. We'll probably add a 1 foot wide ring of pea gravel at the base to make lawn mowing easier but that can wait for now.

      Delete
  3. An outdoor fire pit is really a great trigger for entertainment, within or outside family affairs. There is just something unique about it that makes it a pleasant gathering place. However, some chores come with it, like cleaning it habitually. A faulty fire pit can be one of the worst mood killers during gatherings! Diamond Companies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Maintaining a fire pit is part of the "fun" of having one. Ash builds up and bits of charred wood and food particles need to be cleaned out periodically. It's also important to insure that the fire is well contained within the ring. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete