Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wake up call

On April 24th, I wrote about my friend who was having a cancerous lump removed, saying that it was a small procedure and the doctors were pretty confident that the cancer was small and non-aggressive.  Well, today she had her second surgery - this time a bilateral mastectomy.  The cancer turned out to be much larger than expected and had traveled to lymph nodes.  It was not the news she had expected.

As I was visiting with her last night, she told me that this experience has been a wake-up call for her.  Things that had been bothering her now seem small and insignificant.  She is realizing that her priorities have not been where she wants them to be and this is giving her a chance to realign her life with the things that really matter. 

We all have things that are important to us but do we make time for them on a daily basis?  It's so easy to get caught up in the little crises that just seem to drop in our laps or get complacent with our lives as they are.  It's unfortunate that it sometimes takes a major event to remind us of our true priorities. 

I think I need to reexamine my life and see if what I'm doing reflects the things that I truly care about and not worry so much about things I have no control over.




2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your friend. Why is it that it often takes a crisis to move us toward a priorities realignment? Thanks for the reminder that we need to take time to enjoy each day and stop fretting over those things that are little significance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Dana. Every day is a gift to enjoy and appreciate.

      Delete