Sunday, May 5, 2013

Do they make us young or old?

Ellie loves the water!
Sitting in the warm sunshine, watching my grandchildren splash in their little plastic pool, my son turned to me and said that he figured out why we have children...it's so we grow up.  He then went on to explain that before children, couples have few responsibilities and lots of free time to play and enjoy themselves.  Then comes the children and all of a sudden, the realization hits that an innocent, helpless little human is depending on YOU for everything.  It was a sobering thought for my son.

I agreed with him and then countered with my opinion that while children "force" you to grow up, they also keep you young.  I'm now on the other side of raising children and my grandchildren are constantly asking me to come play with them, or watch them or get involved in what they are doing.  How can I turn them down?  I can't!  I owe it to them to stay healthy and alive.  Besides, they are so much fun!

Chuck and Lilly enjoying the first really warm day of the year!
Isn't it interesting how little children can have such a big impact on us?  They help us to become grown up adults and they also help us remain young. 


No comments:

Post a Comment