Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Changing parenting roles

Parenting roles change as kids grow up.  That's a good thing!
Life was so simple when the kids were little.  I could tell them to clean their room or do their chores and (usually) they did it.  When they did something wrong, I could send them to time out or ground them.  I had responsibility over their health and well being.

Now I have to step back and take on a more supportive role.  It's no longer my responsibility to make their decisions for them.  Some of my kids tell me that they wish I'd tell them what they should do in a certain circumstance but I respond that I can make suggestions or offer my opinion but the decision is ultimately up to them.  Even though that frustrates them, I know that they need the experience to help them become wise adults.

So, I listen and give the best counsel and advice I can and then I tell them that I have confidence in their ability to make the right decision and will support them.  I sure do a lot more listening now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment