Friday, April 19, 2013

A diet experiment - Part 2

Last month I wrote a blog post about my husband's diet experiment (March 18,2013).  Now, a month later, he's still on it and doing well.  He's lost over 10 pounds so far and his diabetes is showing signs of improvement.  I admit, I didn't think he'd stick to it for this long nor did I think that he'd still be enthusiastic about it.  In the last month, he's gone without meat, dairy and most grains (except whole grains).

It's been a learning process for me...coming up with new recipes and meals that are well balanced without ingredients that I am used to using.  I am learning how to cook dried beans.  I'm making more soups.  I'm discovering which ingredients go well together and which don't!   If you think about it, most of us rely on a few well-tested recipes for most of our meals.  I'm having to start from scratch in coming up with new "favorites". 

Probably the most important thing I've learned over the month is that no matter how hard you want to help your husband (especially regarding health), he is the one who has to decide to change.  Until he makes that decision, nothing is going to be successful in the long term.  It's taken over 10 years but he is finally seeing that his food habits and lifestyle have a major impact on his health. 

I know, it applies to us too.  And this diet is definitely helping me eat more healthily...although I do have a chocolate stash for desperate times  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment