Wednesday, April 3, 2013

"Tomorrow is another day"

When my kids were little, we used a form of discipline we called "behavior chips".  Behavior chips were actually just white poker chips and each child started the day with ten chips.  Misbehavior resulted in the loss of a chip and if a child got below a certain number of chips in a day, he'd usually get sent to bed early or lose a privilege or something like that.  And then the next day, he'd start back with ten chips and a clean slate.

Why am I telling you this?  Well, this morning my adult son told me that behavior chips taught him that no matter how bad a day was, he knew that the next day he could start with a perfect, unblemished day.  I hadn't thought of that in years but it's true even now.  It's easy to get discouraged or upset by things that go wrong but we don't have to let it continue to affect us.  We can start each day fresh and with new hope and determination to make things better. 

As Scarlett O'Hara said in Gone with the Wind, " Tomorrow is another day."


2 comments:

  1. As we say: "Morgen is er weer een dag".

    A new day, a fresh start.

    You might 'suffer' the loss of a chip, but never ever the loss of your parents' love.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that saying! I think I'll make a wall plaque with that on it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete