Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Routine health checks

Two weeks ago, a good friend went in for her annual, routine mammogram.  The results showed a lump which was biopsied and found to be cancer.  Without the mammogram, the lump would have gone unnoticed due to its location.  Today, only two weeks later, she had surgery to remove the lump and some lymph nodes and is expected to make a full recovery. 

Some things are just not on the top of my "favorite things to do" list.  That list includes colonoscopies, mammograms, pap smears, and anything that requires needles inserted into my skin.  Unfortunately (fortunately, really), these tests and procedures are meant to catch things that are amiss in our bodies that we might not otherwise notice.  Even if they are a pain in the ---, they can save lives and prevent some pretty nasty diseases from taking over our bodies. 

I actually did have a colonoscopy last year, mainly because of a challenge my daughter (who's a doctor) presented to me and my husband.   She said she'd have one if we did so I said, "sure, why not?"  It wasn't bad and now I don't have to have another one for ten years.  My husband, however, chickened out and I can gloat that I had one and he didn't  :)  My daughter is off the hook...for now.

I admit that it's been two years since I've had a mammogram but because of my friend's experience, I'm definitely going to schedule one soon.  I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment