Monday, March 18, 2013

A diet experiment

My husband has struggled with obesity, diabetes, and heart disease for many years.  He's gone on exercise and diet programs and has lost weight and gained it back several times.  To his credit, he's been able to maintain about a 50 pound loss from his highest weight but still has about 50 more to go.  It's a frustrating cycle.

A few weeks ago, his mother told him about yet another diet program, based on a documentary about a man who battled obesity and health issues and conquered them through "juice fasts" which last anywhere from one week to two months.  So, he thoroughly researched the topic and decided to try it.

Being the good wife that I am  :) I told him that I would do it with him (he's planning on doing it for two weeks) at least for a week.  I figure that I probably wouldn't do any major damage to my body if all I did for a week was drink fresh fruit and veggie juices and smoothies.  And, we haven't been eating fruit and veggies as much as we should anyway.

Preparing was the hardest part.  I had to clean out my cupboards and get rid of all the processed, sugary food (I gave a big boxful of food to my daughter) and clean out the refrigerator to make room for all this fresh stuff.  Then we went grocery shopping and bough huge amounts of apples, bananas, spinach, kale, cucumbers, pineapples and assorted other things.  I'll freeze fruit as it becomes very ripe and hope that we can eat up the leafy greens before they go bad.

Over the weekend, my husband practiced making various combinations with his blender which ranged from really good to so bad that I could barely swallow the first sip.  I tried out a few recipes and they turned out ok.

So, today is the first official day of this experiment.  It's going ok except I miss chocolate  :)

Granddaughter Lilly thought the green smoothie was good!  I wasn't convinced.
Oh, and the name of the documentary is "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead".

No comments:

Post a Comment