Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Out of my comfort zone

Stepping out of my comfort zone today, I played racquetball for the first time in over 35 years.  It was so much fun!  I could get into this again!

I have a gym membership in a local gym that has racquetball courts and every time I go there, I look longingly at the courts.  My dignity has been holding me back  :)  as well as the fact that I have no equipment.  Well, that changed last week when I was at the thrift store and there it was, a racquetball racquet and case.  It seemed to be in excellent condition and was only $3.00!  How could I pass it up? Balls and protective eyewear at the sporting goods store added another $10.00 total and I was ready to go.

Today was the big day and I chose a time when the gym is pretty quiet.  I didn't want anyone watching me!  The first time I swung the racquet, the memories started rushing back.  It felt good!  Sure, I have no stamina or endurance so I only lasted about 20 minutes and by the time I was finished, I was sweating like I'd just finished a  grueling workout but I loved every minute of it.

Going to the gym is no longer going to be such a chore!

4 comments:

  1. How fun! You should bring your eyewear when you come visit and play with Shaun! We have plenty of rackets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a fanatic tennis player, playing in the competition too, many years ago, and the sound of the balls hitting the racket, still hit me, when I pass by a tennis court, make me feel longing for a re-start at the gravel court; not the artificial, bitumen or asphalt ones...
    But, I am not in that fit(ting) shape anymore, which made me join a quilt club, and how that makes me feel blessed and happy :>)
    Keep up the good job and excercises. You'll be feeling fit and happy, my friend!

    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in no shape to even think about playing except for fun :)
    You might not be playing tennis anymore but you make beautiful quilts! I think that's a good trade-off.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete