Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lilly's tantrum

Lilly's not happy
Tonight my granddaughter Lilly (3) got into trouble.  The family was gathered together making root beer floats and something Lilly's mommy said made Lilly mad. She shouted to her mommy that she hated her.  Her good father (my son) told her that that wasn't acceptable to say and he picked up her screaming, kicking little body and gently carried her off to bed.  No root beer float for Lilly.  Immediate bedtime for Lilly.  Oh, was she mad! 

My son did the right thing and handled the situation very calmly and I was proud of him.  But the grandmother in me wanted to intervene and fix things (and give her her root beer float).  I'm so glad that I refrained.  The worst thing I could have done was undermine her daddy's authority and indulge her.  I kept reminding myself that I would have done exactly what my son did and I needed to leave it alone.

It's so easy to spoil the grandchildren but I need to be careful and not get in the way of my children disciplining their children.  Lilly survived quite nicely and hopefully learned a valuable lesson...that some things aren't acceptable anytime, anywhere.  And I supported her daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment