Saturday, March 9, 2013

What's in a name?

It took me nine months to get used to the idea that I was going to be a grandmother for the first time.  I was excited for my daughter to have a baby but had a hard time getting used to the idea of grandmother!  The name just didn't seem right.  Grandma B was my mother-in-law not me.

I started asking my friends what name their grandchildren called them.  One dear couple goes by Noni and Poppi.  I actually like that.  Another friend is called Oma.  Then there's Granny, Nana, and Gammy.  I never knew there were so many names.  Maybe I'm not the only one who had a problem with the name grandma.

Grumpy
My husband and I finally settled on Grammi and Grumpy and it fits just right!    Grammi is a pretty normal variation of grandmother and Grumpy is the perfect name for my husband...not the angry kind of grumpy, but the Disney character from Snow White.  He's got a rough exterior but he's really soft on the inside and all the grandkids know that.  They love Grumpy!

And then there's my grandson Chuck...he had a hard time pronouncing Grammi so he called me Dammi for quite a while  :)  Gotta love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment