Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Regret

I think everyone feels some regret as they get older and hopefully, wiser.  Probably my biggest regret concerning my children is that I didn't keep a written record of funny things they said or did, interesting or unusual experiences, and thoughts I had during those growing-up years.  Sometimes my kids ask me about some of those experiences and I have to say that I can't remember.  I wish I'd written them down.  We think we'll always remember things but time has a habit of fading those memories.

Along the same thought, I didn't take enough pictures of our family growing up.  In my defense, taking pictures was a lot more expensive in the olden days.  There was the price of the camera and the film and the price of developing the film.  That added up!  We couldn't take the thousands of pictures that moms and dads take of their kids now.  I see parents with videos chronicling their children's lives and books and books of photographs.  I guess I should be thankful for the ones I DO have.

As each of my children have left home, I've encouraged them to take pictures and write things down. They won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment