Friday, February 1, 2013

Accomplishments

Today in the mail was my quarterly alumni magazine from the university I graduated from many years ago.  I flipped through the pages and read about all the wonderful things people have accomplished over the years...news about recently promoted CEO's, accomplished artists and authors, business owners and newsmakers.  And then there was the article about the couple (who graduated about the same time I did) who were extremely wealthy philanthropists, giving generously to the university. 

I thought about my accomplishments.  I was a successful stay-at-home mother.  And...uh...my kids turned out well.  Why doesn't that sound like enough?  It should!  In this crazy, messed up world, being able to raise well-adjusted, contributing members of society should be considered a worthy accomplishment.  But in this crazy, messed up world, society puts motherhood somewhere way down the list of acceptable careers and life work.

At least my kids are glad I chose to stay at home to raise them.  I guess that's good enough for me.

4 comments:

  1. Your accomplishments are varied and many, too great to be numbered! :) You are so right that it is hard to put a number or a value on the contribution that amazing women like you are, both on the small and large scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the middle of transitioning to having kids at home all day to having them in school all day...and it's hard b/c they still need me here but the world sometimes makes me feel I have to do MORE. I will do many things in the this life, but the mom job is the one I just can't fail at. Thanks for your words and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! No one can take your place as mother and your kids would rather have you home and available to them than out making more money or "finding" yourself. Isn't it interesting that transitions are not just hard for kids but for us too?

      Delete