Monday, February 4, 2013

Out of the mouth of babes

Me and my outspoken granddaughter  ;)
At a family gathering recently, my 5 year old granddaughter was sitting close to me and peering intently at my face.  "Grami, you're old.  You have wrinkles."  I could hear her mother gasp in the background.  I matter-of-factly said, "You're right!  I'm old and have wrinkles and you are young and have no wrinkles!"  And that satisfied her and defused a potential awkward situation.

Yes, to a 5 year old, someone in their 50's is old.  No doubt about it.  She was just making an observation, not trying to be mean. 

I'll leave it up to her mother and father to teach her about being tactful   :)

4 comments:

  1. As I am ealing with health issues no greater compliment can come my way than "You're old and you have got wrinkles".... I am grateful for the wrinkles, the comment and the fact that I am still alive.
    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Dealing with health issues.
    By the way, I hope to turn 58 on February 14th. :>)

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those wrinkles represent a lifetime of experiences for which I am truly grateful too.
    I wish you well as you deal with your health issues. Hope things improve for you!

    ReplyDelete