Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reading and learning

I like to read and whenever I want to learn about something, I head to the library to check out books on the topic.  So it should be no surprise that I checked out a few books on the subject of empty-nesters.  What was surprising to me was the tone of both books.  I don't know if I'm from another planet or the authors are from another planet, but whatever it was, we live in different worlds! 

Both suggested that now that the kids are out of the house, it's time to buy that second home in the Hamptons, replace the family sedan with a sporty new car, take a month off to travel in Europe, take on a complete home renovation project to reflect your new freedom and in other ways, celebrate your emancipation from the drudgery of motherhood.

I feel sorry for women who feel that way and their children too.  Was child-rearing an unpleasant chore that they resented?  Do they think other things are more important and worthwhile?  Such misplaced priorities! 

They can have their new homes, cars, vacations and any other thing that fills up their time.  I will be content with the relationships I've built with my husband and children over the years and will find happiness spending time with my growing family.  I will enjoy the simple things of life and be
content.

Oh, and I will not share the titles of the books I read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment