Friday, February 8, 2013

Reflections on mortality

I just got back from a funeral for a sweet lady who I knew from church.  She was 79 and had suffered from health problems for quite some time so the service was both sad (because of her passing) and happy (because she is no longer in pain) as family members and friends spoke about their memories of her.

The death of loved ones is becoming more frequent and it makes me reflect on my own mortality.  I'm 58 right now which means that I've lived well over half my life, probably closer to two thirds.  My own father died when he was 54 so I've lived four years beyond what he lived.  That's so weird.  My 85 year old mother is still living but is in very poor health. 

I am reminded that if I want to remain active and healthy, I better take good care of myself now.  It's so easy to get lazy but the things I do now will reflect the quality of the rest of my life.  Sobering thought. 

It's never too late to make positive changes in your life but it isn't easy.  There may be many years of bad habits to overcome but the results are better health and a happier life.  That's motivation enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment