Sunday, February 10, 2013

Technology

I still feel close to her even though she's 900 miles away!
I'm so thankful for technology.  Tonight I Skyped with my daughter who lives 930 miles away and I talked with another daughter who lives 900 miles away.  I can chat with any of my kids, see their antics on Facebook, text them anytime, send and receive pictures almost instantaneously, and get immediate feedback when I need it.

Remember when long distance phone calls were really expensive and had to be carefully monitored?  Remember when letters were often the way we communicated with loved ones far away?  When photographs had to be dropped off at a store to be developed and processed (which took upwards of a week), and then picked up again?  And then if you wanted family members to see those pictures, you again had to put them in an envelope and wait another week for them to receive the pictures.

Oh, how times have changed and this time for the better!   My kids don't seem so far away.  I love being able to see new apartments by having a Skype tour or getting a picture message from a grandchild who is doing something goofy.  I don't think a day goes by without at least one of my children calling me just to visit or ask some advice about something.

Of course, I'd love it if they all lived close but I am realistic enough to know that that isn't always possible.  And I would never hold them back from the opportunities that open up to them that take them farther away.  So I am content with the technology that lets me stay connected with them wherever they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment